This article is part of an article series aimed at helping small business owners grow online with the WordPress content publishing software.
WordPress websites are taking over the internet in a very positive way. The platform is so easy to use and expandable that it makes sense to use it for almost any type of website. The concept of being completely open-source is extremely enticing for technology-minded and non-tech-soul alike.
Having a completely open source WordPress platform allows tech-minded people to create tools for just about any use. And then allow non-tech-minded people to use these tools created on their website with a simple install
For more information about of the article series, see this post: The Small Business Owner’s Guide To Using WordPress
In this article, you will learn some WordPress facts and figures that will help you understand why millions of businesses around the world use WordPress and what kind of people and businesses use WordPress today.
WordPress: Usage And Popularity
- WordPress started as a blogging tool in 2003.
- WordPress is available in two formats: a hosted application (WordPress.com) and as a self-hosted, downloadable application (WordPress.org).
- 22 out of every hundred new domains registered in the U.S. are for a new WordPress website.
- There are over sixty million installations of WordPress worldwide. This number increases everyday.
- Over one-sixth of all websites worldwide are driven by WordPress.
- More than 60% of all websites that use a CMS application are powered by WordPress.
- Over 30 million searches made each month on Google are for WordPress related terms.
- WordPress is completely free to download, use and modify. WordPress is distributed as an open source content management system.
- WordPress is continually worked on by volunteers. Thousands of people from all over the world are at work developing and improving the WordPress application on an ongoing basis.
- WordPress is continually being updated to eliminate bugs and improve its features and security.
- WordPress delivers content online to visitors worldwide. WordPress has been translated and localized into over seventy languages.
- The WordPress repository currently makes available thousands of free plugins, themes and widgets to WordPress users.
- There is virtually no limit to what type of site you can build with WordPress.
A content management system (CMS), is a web tool for non-technical users. It is designed to make it easy for non-technical users to add, edit and manage all content on their site.
WordPress started in 2003. It was originally written by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. WordPress is now the most popular self-hosted CMS application in the world, used on millions of sites and seen by tens of millions of people every day.
WordPress is owned by Automattic.com, which currently employs around 300 people, all of whom work from home. Despite being a distributed company with so few employees, WordPress.com (the hosted version of the WordPress software) currently attracts more unique monthly views than Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo, eBay and Twitter …
(WordPress.com monthly uniques. Source: http://automattic.com/about)
Consider the following WordPress usage figures:
Over 60% of all websites worldwide do not use a CMS. Of those that do, WordPress is the leader, with more than 60% of the market share.
WP CMS usage stats
In terms of CMS dominance, no other platform even comes close to WordPress …
In fact, more and more websites are being built with the WordPress CMS platform.
WordPress is so popular, that keeping up with statistics on WordPress is very difficult, because the numbers change so frequently.
For example, at the time this article was written, this is the number of downloads of the latest WordPress version …
Note: The above download numbers represents only the latest version of WordPress. Less than half of all current users have upgraded their sites to the latest release …
(WordPress versions currently in use. Source: https://wordpress.org/about/stats)
Even as this post was being written, the number of downloads had already shot up. If you click on the link above and visit the WordPress download counter page, you expect to see a significantly higher number of downloads … perhaps even a newer version, as WordPress continually updates the software to fix security issues and bugs, and add improved or new features.
Speaking of updates, WordPress has released over 100 new software updates to date …
(Over one hundred new WordPress versions have been released to date)
WordPress currently releases a new software version every 3-4 months …
(WordPress regularly releases new version updates named after famous Jazz musicians)
here is an interesting fact: all major WordPress releases have a tradition of being named in honor of famous Jazz musicians, eg:
- v.2.0 = Duke Ellington (December 31, 2005),
- v.2.3 = Dexter Gordon (September 24, 2007),
- v.3.0 = Thelonious Monk (June 17, 2010),
- v.3.7 = Count Basie (October 24, 2013),
- v.4.1 = Dinah Washington (December 18, 2014),
- etc …
Who Is Using WordPress?
In a nutshell, all different kinds of enterprises and people use WordPress to publish content about everything and anything.
Popular corporations, businesses, retail companies, celebrities, politicians, famous artists, universities, government department sites, community organizations – even countries are using WordPress sites …
WP Website Showcase
Here are just some of the many sites, companies and people who are using WordPress:
- Global Brands & Corporations: Bata, DC Diaper Bank, Panic, McDonald’s Singapore, Mercedes-Benz, etc …
- Famous People, Politicians, Sports Stars, Actors & Musicians: Alanis Morissette, Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India, The Meredith Vieira Show, Justin Bieber, The Sacramento Ballet, Steve Blake, LA Lakers, Dave Matthews Band, Howie Mandel, Jason Mraz, etc …
- Universities & Educational Institutions: Georgia State University, International Relations Online at American University, Washington University’s School of Law, Salve Regina University, etc.
- Magazines & Online Media: Time Inc., The Australian, IMC TV, CBS New York, etc.
- Governments, Public Services & Humanitarian Organizations: Open.NASA.gov, Canadian Museum of History, Maryland National Road Association, AIDS Project Rhode Island, Rotary Means Business – Rotary Club, etc.
Earlier, we mentioned that WordPress offers two formats: a hosted application (WordPress.com) and as a self-hosted, downloadable software (WordPress.org).
- Businesses often choose the self-hosted version, which can be installed in their own domain names and modified to suit their needs. In fact, most WordPress self-hosted installations are business marketing or sales purposes.
- More than half of all WordPress users use the hosted version on WordPress.com
- In 2014, blogs belonging to the WordPress network (blogs hosted either on WordPress.com or self-hosted WordPress sites) published on average 17 new blog posts every second (around 1.5 million posts per day).
WordPress provides a live map that lets you see blog post updates around the world in real-time …
WordPress.com – Live Activity
In later posts we will discuss the main differences between WordPress.com (hosted) vs WordPress.org (self-hosted) versions.
Other Statistics About WordPress
WordPress users can download and install over 37,000 plugins at no cost from the WordPress plugin repository …
(WordPress.org plugin directory)
We have written a great article about WP plugins here: WordPress Plugins – Improving Your Website’s Features And Functionality
WordPress users also have access to over 1,700 free WordPress themes from the WordPress free theme directory …
(WordPress.org theme repository)
For a detailed article about themes go here: A Practical Guide To WordPress Themes
WordPress has been translated and localized into over seventy languages and dialects in addition to English …
The search term “WordPress” alone receives around 2.7 million searches per month on Google. Additional WordPress-related terms (e.g. “WP themes”, “WP plugins”, “WordPress SEO”, etc. brings the total number of online searches for WordPress terms to more than thirty-seven million …
(WordPress searches online)
If you compare searches for WordPress to other CMS platforms, WordPress is searched five times more than Joomla and 9x more than Drupal.
According to WordPress’ own “State of the Word” 2014 survey, a quarter of WP users who responded to the survey said that they make a full-time living off WordPress. An earlier survey conducted by WordPress (2012) also found that the median hourly rate of WordPress projects is around US$50.
You can find WordPress designers and developers for hire at freelancing sites like ODesk …
According to ODesk.com, typical WordPress job cost ranges are around $10 – $500 …
As you can clearly see from the above information, the growth of WordPress is predicted to continue for many years to come.
In other articles, we will explore the following:
- Why WordPress is an ideal platform for growing your small business online,
- Over fifty great reasons why you should choose WordPress for your website or blog, including a detailed breakdown of the benefits, features and advantages of using the WordPress platform,
- How to automate your business marketing with WordPress,
- How to generate targeted visitors, increase conversions, and how to sell more products and services with WordPress.
- Plus, we’ll provide ongoing step-by-step tutorials and tips of how to use WordPress and grow your business presence online, while also saving thousands of dollars on web development and web design costs.
The above statistics were sourced from various locations around the web, including the following sites:
Has this article helped you in any way? Did we leave something important out? Feel free to post a comment below and share this post with your friends.
Disclaimer: This site is not associated with WordPress or any of the WP-related products written about on this site. We may derive a financial benefit from sales of products advertised, reviewed or linked to from this site. All images used in this review have been supplied from the plugin’s website and websites that provide Premium WP Services